lunes, 27 de julio de 2015

REAL AND UNREAL CONDITIONAL 9A-B-C

Conditional Sentences

Conditional Sentence Type 0conditional
Conditional type zero is used to talk about general truths, scientific facts or things which always happen under certain conditions.
Form:
If + Simple Present, + Simple Present
Use:
The zero conditional is used to talk about things which are always true, scientific facts, general truths:
Examples:
If you cross an international date line, the time changes.
Phosphorus burns if you expose it to air.
If I wake up early, I go jogging.
NOTE: you can use "when" instead of "if".
Conditional Sentence Type 1
Often called the "real" conditional because it is used for real or possible situations. These situations take place if a certain condition is met. It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form:
If + Simple Present, + Simple Future
Use
Conditional Sentences Type 1 refer to the future. An action in the future will only happen if a certain condition is fulfilled by that time. We don't know for sure whether the condition actually will be fulfilled or not, but the conditions seems rather realistic – so we think it is likely to happen.
Example:
If I have enough time, I'll watch the football match.
I may have time to watch the match but I'm not sure about it.
Conditional Sentence Type 2
Often called the "unreal" conditional because it is used for unreal impossible or improbable situations. This conditional provides an imaginary result for a given situation. It is very unlikelythat the condition will be fulfilled.
Form:
if + Simple Past, + would + base verb
Were / Was
In conditional type 2, we usually use in the if clause "were" instead of "was" even if the pronoun is Iheshe or it. "were" here is a subjunctiveform.
NOTE "was" is also a possible form.
Example:
If I were a millionaire, I would buy a castle.
Use
Conditional Sentences Type 2 refer to an action in the present that could happen if the present situation were different. I don't really expect the situation to change because it is very unlikely.
Example:
If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.
Conditional Sentence Type 3
It is impossible that the condition will be met because it refers to the past.
Form:
if + Past Perfect, + would + have + Past Participle
Use
Conditional Sentences Type 3 refer to situations in the past. They express hypothetical results to past given situations.
Example:
If he had been careful, he wouldn't have had that terrible accident.
Sometimes in the past, he was careless. He drove so fast. So he had a terrible accident
Things to remember
1. The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, don't use a comma.
Examples:
"Phosphorus burns if you expose it to air."
" I will send her an invitation if I find her address."
" I would travel around the world if I had a million dollars."
"He wouldn't have had that terrible accident if he had been careful."
2. Main clause and/or if clause might be negative.
Example:
If I don’t see him this afternoon, I will phone him in the evening.
If he had been careful, he wouldn't have had an accident.




Grammar Exercises - Conditional sentences
Principio del formulario
Match the numbers with the letters to form conditional sentences:
1.       If I were a millionaire,
2.      
 She wouldn't have  had an accident
3.       
 I’ll watch the film,
a. if I finish early.
b. I would buy a beautiful car.
c. if she had driven carefully.
Decide which of the sentences below is conditional type 1, 2 & 3 :
  1. If I were rich, I would travel around the world.                                                                     
  2. She wouldn't have missed the train if she had woken up earlier.                                                                     
  3. I’ll call you if I come back early.                                                                      
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense (conditional 1):
  1. conditionalsIf I (finish)  early, I will call you.
  2. I (catch)  the 9:00 train if I hurry up .
  3. She will know the answer, if she (try)  to understand.
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense (conditional 2):
  1. If I (be)  a star, I would help the needy.
  2. He (buy)  a house if he had a job.
  3. She (be)  happy, if she married him .
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense (conditional 3):
  1. If he (be)  careful, he would not have had that terrible accident.
  2. I (pass)  the exam if I had worked hard .
  3. Her father would not have died, if he (go)  to the doctor.
Choose the correct answer:
  1. If I (wake up)                                                                                                                            early, I’ll go jogging.
  2. He (visit)                                                                                                          his uncle, if he finishes early.
  3. If she had taken care of her son, he (not/become)                                                                                                                            a criminal.
  4. If I were a star, I (help)                                                                                                          the poor.
  5. She would have been top of her class if she (work)                                                                                                                            hard.
Final del formulario








1 comentario: